Thursday, 1 March 2012

Three Ways To Wear A Printed Jacket

My last post was all about print so I thought that for my next ‘Three Wasy To Wear’ post, I’d carry on from this and pick something in a bold print.

This jacket is from Zara…I have a kind of love hate relationship with it.  The colours are so good and the print is stunning but on the hanger, it doesn’t look great.  I spotted this blazer on the website a few weeks ago and couldn’t decide what I thought of it, so when I spotted it on a shopping trip with a client, I vowed to go back and try it on when I’d finished.  It came home with me.  I have to admit, I’m still not too sure whether to keep it or not, I do think my wardrobe could do with an injection of colour and print and I can make a whole heap of outfits with it; however it really is VERY bold!

First outfit: Jacket from Zara, stripe t-shirt from Whistles, necklace from Urban Outfitters, vintage bangles, jeans from Mimi Noor, shoes from Ash.
Second outfit: Earrings from House of Harlow, dress from Tophop, belt from Topshop, boots from Zara.
Third outfit: T-shirt form Evil Twin, necklace, as before, Jeans from Donna Ida, Boots from Zara.

First, I wanted to illustrate that a jacket like this can easily be worn in the day, quite casually. I’ve teamed it with a stripe t-shirt, something that’s great to have in the wardrobe.  If you’re someone who lives in white t-shirts in the summer then a striped version will just add a little more interest under jackets and knitwear. 

Next, I wanted to pull together a more summery outfit.  I can’t wait to wear this when it warms up a little more (and after some serious fake tan application too), it’s so comfortable and so me.  My leather jacket would be my usual go to jacket; however the colour of this probably does far more for me and gives the outfit a slightly different look, more boho than rock chick.

The last outfit is a little print mixing, you all know how much I like to mix my prints so you must have been expecting to see something like this one.  I think the floral jacket sits well over the skull design t-shirt, while the black skinny jeans tie the outfit together.  Sure, a cardigan would work well here too, but I tend to prefer jackets for layering as they will often enhance curves more…sometimes a long, loose, cardigan can swamp the frame.

So what do you think?  Will you be running to the shops to find a printed jacket, or sticking to block colours?

16 comments:

Kendall said...

I really like this jacket! I mostly stick to neutrals, but I'm looking into adding more prints to my wardrobe. I especially love how you paired it with the black maxi dress :)

tallkendall.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I love the jacket! I have the same dress from topshop except it's in animal print. Knew I had a good buy !!! Thank you Nik for being such an awesome inspiration! :) xxxxxx
Kirsten Scholey

Style Eyes Ethical Fashion Blog said...

That jacket is stunning! I love mixing prints but that jacket looks great with or without another print.

Pinhole and Paper said...

The jacket looks amazing, I like to see you bring more colour in to your wardrobe and it's good to see you wearing it with a dress, I always struggle to know what to wear with dresses especially when it's a bit cooler.

Love the new little tweeks you have made to your blog too. Nai

SJP said...

Yet another reason why I love Zara! That jacket is stunning and it really suits you - especially look three - very rock n roll! I love printed jackets but tend to play safe with block colours, you may just have changed my mind : )

Niki said...

Hi Kendall, thanks for the comment! While I love print, I don't actually have much of it in my wardrobe so this is a little out of my comfort zone, but I thoroughly recommend pushing yourself out of your comfort zone :)

Niki said...

Hey Kirsten, it's lovely to hear from you! ANIMAL PRINT!!!! I didn't see this...but proably a good thing as I need to cool it with animal print :) It makes my week that you find these inspiring...it really does xx

Niki said...

Yeah I think you're right, it's nice to keep things a little simpler sometimes, it can create a really chic look x

Niki said...

Thanks, only tiny tweeks but am a little happier with it now. Am planning some much bigger changes so will be in touch soon :) You're right I don't have much colour in my wardrobe, think it's time for a change!

Niki said...

Thanks SJP, I'm not sure why (and this probably sounds mighty strange) but block colour scares me more than print. I saw a gorgeous raspberry red jacket while I was trying on this jacket, but couldn't convince myself to buy it! Zara's one of my fave places to shop, they do catwalk inspired pieces at such a great price x

Anonymous said...

As always love your looks! Jacket is amazing. As a shorty i always think that these bright jackets are too much for me?
However, just bought a bright heart and petal print whistles shirt, first checking that it would go with 3 things in my wardrobe of course! :)

Steph Sherwood

Niki said...

Hey Steph, I know the one...it's gorgeous! You can definately carry off a bright jacket, just make sure it sits above the hips so it doesn't swamp you :) x

Bola (Lilac Dreams) said...

I saw someone wearing this jacket and love it! I don't normally love flowers but love this trend!

http://thelilacdream.blogspot.com

TheParisienne said...

Love the blazer!
Have a nice day...
And maybe we can follow each others, let me know if you want!

(www.the-parisienne.com)

Niki said...

Thanks for commenting :)

Niki said...

Thanks, you too :) x