Friday, 11 January 2013

Nine Months On...

This time last year, Alex and I were trying to decide whether to leave our lives in Bristol and make a scary move to India for a year.   I’ve never seen so many spreadsheets or pieces of paper listing the pro’s and cons.  It was funny to see how different our decision making processes were.  Alex is the king of spreadsheets, he really is, and me? Well I like to fill giant pieces of paper with lots of colour and scribbles.   While our stack of workings helped us gather our thoughts, they were never going to help us actually make the decision, we just had to jump…or not.

We jumped.

I think we both knew we’d live to regret it if we didn't and nine months on we’re pleased we did.  The longer we’re here the more we love it - we travel, experience things we just wouldn’t have the opportunity to back at home, and we’re never bored, never short of things to do…even a normally mundane weekly trip to the super market is an experience!  So, except for my occasional desire to try and change things here and despite witnessing all the problems the country faces, I’m really happy to be here and am not ready to leave just yet.

Christmas was a big test of this.  Neither of us have ever spent Christmas this far away from our families before and we missed them so much, I think it was the first time in the last nine months that we’d felt so far away from home.   But it wasn’t all sad, my sister Katy and her fiancé Liam joined us for a couple of weeks over Christmas and New Year and wow it was special.  Katy has been to India before and was unbelievably excited to be back, it was amazing to be able to share our experience with them and I loved seeing India for the first time again, through Liam’s eyes.   Half way through their visit we were joined by two more friends for New Year, it really was two weeks I’ll never forget.

 

 
 
 

 
 
All of these photo's except for New Years day and Kerala, were taken by my very talented Alex :)

5 comments:

Katy said...

Bringing back so many lovely memories, it really was an unforgettable holiday, made all the more so because we spent it with you and Al. You definitely made the right decision! Although I am secretly looking forward to having you home xxx

shipshapeandbristolfashion said...

So glad to hear you're enjoying your time out there Niki - it looks like you guys hand a lovely Christmas and New Years : ) x

shipshapeandbristolfashion said...

So glad you've both settled in and it looks like you had a lovely festive season - I'm jealous of all the sun! : ) x

SJP said...

So glad you've both settled in and it looks like you had a lovely festive season - I'm jealous of all the sun! : ) x

Megha Sarin said...

WOW! Great pictures and looks like you had a great time in India


love
http://www.meghasarin.com