Tuesday, 9 April 2013

On My Way Back


As you read this, I'll be on the last stretch of my journey home to Bangalore (I just said home, didn't I?!). I was in Bristol for just over three weeks to see clients for the spring summer season and boy did the time absolutely whizz by!  I started work the day after I landed and was busy morning noon and night until a couple of days ago.  It always amazes me that I’ve been away from the UK for 6 months, but then as soon as come back, it feels as if I never left…India is a distant memory and I’m able to get straight back to running my business in person, picking up where I left off the last time. 

As I write this, I’m in Dubai airport grappling with mixed emotions.  I’m sad to be leaving again; working and seeing clients was just brilliant, I loved meeting new clients and catching up with regular ones.  And I loved every minute that I spent with my family and friends, but I also missed Al - tons.  He wasn't able to take the time off work to go back with me so we've been apart for the last three weeks and with our busy schedule and the five hour time difference, it’s not been easy to find the time to catch up.  Being back in the UK was fantastic, but without Al it didn't feel quite right, and I also felt a tad guilty enjoying some of the luxuries that living in the UK brings. 

Life in India is so unbelievably tough for a lot of people and coming home just enforces how lucky we are, how easy life is for us over here in the UK and how many opportunities we have…even at the moment when times are so tough.

It occurred to me how fortunate I am to be able to do what I do – I spend my time living in this amazingly crazy and inspiring country; India, and return home each season to see clients and run my business.  I realised that I couldn’t waste a minute of my time while I was back.  I had the opportunity to continue working and growing my business, so that’s exactly what I did.  I may be absolutely shattered right now, but I wouldn’t have it any other way.

I'm not telling you this to brag and I guess I've worked really hard to keep my business running while I’m in India, it’s just that I never expected to feel this way about moving to India and wanted to share this with you and encourage you to grab hold of the opportunities that come your way...don't be afraid of change or of failing as it might just lead to something simply brilliant! 

It was 12 months ago today that Al and I arrived in Bangalore.  We’re half way through our adventure and I fully intend to make the most of my last year living in here and to make the most of every opportunity that comes my way (as well as the opportunities that I have to go out and find). So watch this space!


(Image via  Pink Lemonade Designs)

3 comments:

katy said...

Very soul searching blog! Remember home is where the heart is x

Niki said...

Thanks Katy...so true :) xx

shipshapeandbristolfashion said...

Happy Bangalore anniversary - I can't believe it's been a year already! Am so impressed that you've been able to keep your business going - it just shows what hard work and passion can do :)